Thursday, July 3, 2008

XTERRA & the James River Adventure Games

I need to be more regular about this blogging!

It has been difficult to find the time for a blog since Willem has been out of school. Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that my primary job is that of stay-at-home-dad. The photog gig is my vacation from the soccer mom (or whatever they call us these days...) routine. But I will wait 'til I catch up on the recent shooting events to add more about that stuff.

Saturday - day 1 of the James River Adventure Games. Photography for the Sportsbackers. A loooong day. And it was HOT. The stunt bikers (Bike Trials) were out on the rocks south of Belle Isle, and it was an OVEN out there. I don't know how they managed that kind of focus in those conditions. I finally called it a day after the mediocre turnout for the kayaking events. There was a big crowd in bikinis, but I think that was the regular crowd from any given Saturday down there. They seemed to have little interest in the event.

I was everywhere, though. I rode the MTB from Brown's Island to Rockett's Landing and all the way back to 42nd Street stairs. And MAN! were the stairs the hot spot! The slideshow doesn't do it justice. I was sweating more than the bikers of the Urban Assault.

Sunday was a different gig, though. I was a volunteer for XTERRA (or Team Unlimited, to be more precise). I ferried the Times-Dispatch (local paper) photographer Clement Britt and video cameraman Sean Connelly (not sure for whom or if I'm spelling his name right) behind Trey and Nils from XTERRA to all the key points of the course. I got to drive the Town & Country onto Belle Isle! I felt like a rock star - forget the photography.


I managed to take some shots while on duty though, and it was a lot of fun being allowed in all the secret places! Can't wait 'til next year!

No comments: